Reports to: Sales Manager
Purpose of Position:
Under the immediate guidance of the purchasing manager, performs purchasing activities through vendors and suppliers to provide the company with products for sale.
- Maintains standard product reorder system.
- Develops sources and second sources on a regular basis for a full array of products for sale.
- Negotiates purchase prices for products and establishes terms of payment with vendors.
- Establishes delivery schedule for full and partial orders including hold-for-release agreements using personal judgment.
- Establishes quantity to be ordered and, under guidance of the purchasing manager, establishes minimum/maximum and reorder points for fast-moving product.
- Negotiates several possible sources price, deliver and quantity on special orders and one-of-a-kind orders.
- Continually establishes and maintains relationships with a wide variety of vendors and suppliers in order to obtain ideal purchasing conditions for the
- Maintains appropriate purchasing records, enters data on appropriate software packages.
- Assists in development of new purchasing forms and procedures.
Continual interaction with vendors and suppliers using effective persuasion and negotiating skills. Frequent interaction with sales management and accounting department personnel. Close interaction with expediters, inside sales personnel, and quality control.
High school graduation plus minimum 2 years formal business education. 3 to 5 years of overall related experience in order to perform purchasing functions. Technical knowledge of the fastener industry preferred. Specialized courses in negotiating skills preferred.